The Paddling School's 2014 calendar is set. Changes have been made, courses have been added and updated, the instructors are excited and paddlesports popularity is continuing to grow! Here's the rundown on what to expect:
Time For a Change
The most obvious change Paddling School guests will notice this season is the check-in location. Instead of meeting on the Adventure Deck as in previous summers, guests will meet instructors in the new Padddlesports Center, located upstairs in the Outfitter’s Store. Here guests can easily find their instructors, discuss program goals and ask questions about gear and equipment before beginning the day. This change will provide guests a more comfortable and private start to the day.
The Start of Something New
- New for 2014 is a two-day ACA Update Course. Any paddling instructor needing to update a Level Four ACA kayaking certification can attend one of several courses we have scheduled during the season. This is the quickest and easiest way to update and maintain a level four certification. To see level four ACA qualifications click here.
- Also new is the five-day all-inclusive Women’s Adventure Getaway, which is scheduled for fall of 2014. “The Women’s Adventure Getaway is a new concept for NOC,” commented Jae Jackson, Paddling School Assistant Manager. “The program will center primarily on kayaking and stand-up-paddle boarding but will also include mountain biking, hiking and other outdoor adventures. The program gives adventure-loving women an opportunity have a good time doing what they love, but also to encourage not-so-adventurous women to get out and try something new.” Click here for more information on women’s paddling courses.
Our youth programs continue to grow each season as more and more kids discover the excitement of paddling. To accommodate the most kids possible, we have developed a few different options that appeal to youth paddlers of all levels. These include the following:
- For youth strictly interested in paddling, we offer all-inclusive and multi-day campkayak instruction options.
- For youth interested in outdoor leadership, we have a seven-day all-inclusive YouthLeadership Camp, which includes swiftwater training and Wilderness First Aid Certification.
- And for those who enjoy camping out, we offer two traveling freestyle camps for intermediate youth paddlers. For five days students travel to our river outposts to learn and refine freestyle skills on some of the best freestyle features in the Southeast.
Additionally, the Nantahala Racing Club (NRC) and NOC have renewed their relationship with a shared commitment in youth leadership development. Together we will be hosting a series of youth-focused events throughout the 2014 season. For more information on these events, keep an eye on the NRC event page and the NOC event page.
The 2014 Paddling School season is going to be great! Be sure to keep up with us via the website for information about all the courses offered at NOC. We look forward to seeing you out on the water!