Thursday, June 18, 2009

NOC's Alpine Tower

Before I worked for NOC I was a guest, and for years I thought NOC was mostly just the Outfitter's Store, Slow Joe's Cafe and River's End Restaurant. Of course I saw the NOC flotilla on the river, but as a kayaker I mainly tried to avoid getting run over by rafts.

I couldn't have been more mistaken. NOC has so many offerings that one of our biggest challenges in the marketing department is trying to present our full line of activities in a sense-making way, and the Alpine Tower is one of those offerings that sometimes gets buried in our mountains of programming.

What is it? Located at our Nantahala River campus, the Alpine Tower is a 50-foot-tall climbing structure with over 26 different routes to the top through obstacles with names like the floating logs, the diabolical seesaw and the corporate ladder. Though the Alpine Tower is usually just open to groups of 10 to 24 guests, our summer Alpine Tower sampler is open to the public Wednesday and Friday evenings from 5:30 to 7:30, so anyone can do it. Because a description still can't help most folks imagine what it's like, I've included a video below. Make sure you see the helmet cam view of the swing; it's pretty sweet.




(The video is widescreen, hence the squashed look. Click on the video to see a full-size version on You Tube.)

No comments:

Post a Comment